While most taxpayers will simply need to check a box on their tax return to indicate they had health coverage for all of 2015, there are a few forms and specific lines on forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ that relate to the health care law. To help navigate health coverage reporting, you should consider filing your return electronically. Using tax preparation software is the best and simplest way to file a complete and accurate tax return as it guides you through the process and completes all the math for you. There are a variety of electronic filing options, including: free volunteer assistance, IRS free File for taxpayers who qualify, commercial software, and professional assistance.
Information about reporting health coverage: Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions:
- Complete this form if you need to claim a coverage exemption on your return or report a marketplace-granted coverage exemption.
- Use the worksheet in the Form 8965 Instructions if you need to calculate the shared responsibility payment.
- Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit: Complete this form to claim this credit on your tax return, and to reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit.
- Form 1095, Health Care Information Forms: If you enrolled in coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you should receive Form 1095 A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which will help complete form 8962. Wait to file until you receive this form.
- Your health coverage provider or your employer may furnish you with a Form 1095-B, Health Coverage, or Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage. You do not have to wait to receive these forms before you file your tax return.
Line 46: Enter advance payments of the premium tax credit that must be repaid.
Line 61: Report health coverage or enter individual shared responsibility payment.
Line 69: Report net premium tax credit if the allowed premium tax credit is more than advance credit payments paid on your behalf.
Line 29: Enter advance payments of the premium tax credit that must be repaid.
Line 38: Report health coverage or enter individual shared responsibility payment.
Line 45: Report net premium tax credit if the allowed premium tax credit is more than the advance credit payments paid on your behalf.
Line 11: Report health coverage or enter individual shared responsibility payment.
Form 1040EZ cannot be used to report advance payments or to claim the premium tax credit.